A while back, I shared a link to the International Dot Day webpage. This is a terrific way to gently innovate wildly. Over 1.4 million students worldwide will be doing "something" related to Dot Day.
This project is the work of a friend of mine who teaches music in Minnesota, Terry (TJ) Shay. His passion is overwhelming when it comes to connecting with kids. Follow him on Twitter at @tjshay or check out his blog. This guys knows how to Innovate Wildly.
Here is a real quick way to innovate with students of all ages with Dot Day stuff.
- Download the colAR Mix app onto your teacher iPad. This app is already on the student iPads.
- Download and print a copy of the attached 1 page file. Copy enough for each student.
- Have your students color the page.
- Launch the colAR Mix app and hold the camera of the iPad over the colored picture to see it come to life.
- Use your teacher iPad and your Apple TV to project student work onto the big screen for everyone to see.
Want to innovate wildly? This is a guaranteed hit with your kids!
- Cut out the circular center part and discard the circle you cut out. Keep the rest of the sheet.
- Hold the sheet up to a students face so their face shows through the hole in the paper.
- Use the colAR Mix app to view their face and watch it come to life.
As with any technology related lesson, test things out fully BEFORE you attempt this with students. Download the app, download and color the paper, run the app on YOUR colored dot.
Share your favorites with others via Twitter, Google+, Facebook, etc....
Dot Day Official Website
Fablevision Learning (where you can buy the book, The Dot)
colAR Mix app download
colAR Mix website (with other free pages to download)
Celebridots (view Dots created by celebrities)
Keep changing the world!
Jenison Public Schools
Director of Information Technology